- Hive is a data warehousing package built on top of Hadoop.
- It facilitates querying and managing large datasets residing in distributed storage.
- It abstracts complexity of Hadoop and provides an easy way for data analysis.It is targeted for users who are comfortable with SQL.
- It is similar to SQL and called HiveQL.
- It is developed by Facebook and contributed to community.
- Query execution in hive happens via Mapreduce.
- Hive does not support low latency or real time queries.Even querying small amounts of data may take minutes.Designed for scalability and ease-of-use rather than low latency responses.